Canton Wrongful Death Lawyer
Has a Family Member Suffered a Wrongful Death in Canton?
Some of the injuries claims our law firm takes on involve a death caused by a negligent party. If an individual has died in an accident, the loved ones of the deceased are likely entitled to compensation for their terrible loss. You will need the help of an experienced Canton wrongful death lawyer. The lawyers at Marko Law defend accident and injury victims and their families regularly. They might be able to help you obtain compensation for your loss.
A wrongful death is where the negligence or recklessness of an individual or company are responsible for a fatal accident. The law in Michigan recognizes that when someone’s actions cost another his life, the responsible individual must be legally liable to pay damages to the victim’s family members. This means that when a loved one is killed in an accident, the surviving family members may be entitled to bring a civil case against those responsible for the accident.
Common Types of Cases that Lead to Wrongful Death
Some of the most common types of cases that lead to wrongful death are automobile accidents, slips and falls, workplace accidents, and medical malpractice.
When a Car Accident Causes Wrongful Death
Losing a loved one to a car accident is devastating. And it can be emotionally challenging to consider what you should do next when you are so early in the grieving process. However, some people report that filing a lawsuit helped to give them peace of mind because they had one less thing to worry about. A wrongful death claim means that something is being done to get justice for a deceased relative.
A car accident that causes a wrongful death can leave a family with major stress about paying back medical expenses, handling funeral costs, and losing earnings from a primary provider. Marko Law can help to guarantee that you obtain the compensation that you are entitled to for medical expenses, lost earnings, loss of consortium, and pain and suffering.
Wrongful death because of a motor vehicle accident can happen at the scene of the accident or later on when the victim succumbs to their injuries. Although deadly motor vehicle accidents are often caused by intoxicated drivers, distracted motorists, and speeding, virtually any kind of automobile accident can result in a fatal wreck. Some of the most common injuries from automobile accidents that later result in a wrongful death are traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, and internal injuries. If your loved one passes away from complications because of their injury, it still falls under the umbrella of wrongful death. As such, the at-fault party can still be sued for their negligence.
Wrongful Death Because of Slip and Fall Accidents
Slip and fall accidents are rarely considered a deadly type of accidents. However, this is just not accurate. Slips and falls can be fatal, especially if the head strikes the ground or another hard surface.
Slips and falls can happen practically anywhere. But some of the most common locations where slip and falls happen that qualify as wrongful deaths are grocery stores, commercial businesses, apartment complexes, parking lots, and workplaces. The way your wrongful death case will be sought is different depending on where the accident took place. For instance, claims against large commercial businesses differ in their parameters and insurance policies compared to slip and fall deaths that happen at a private residence.
Slips and falls can also be deadly when they happen to a senior citizen. A slip and fall can place significant pressure on an older person that they might never recover from. When you are in the later stages of life and all of a sudden you have to be bedridden for an extended period of time, your chances of recovering completely are much slimmer. As a matter of fact, falls are the leading source of injury-related death for adults aged 65 and older. And this number seems to be increasing.
Workplace Wrongful Death
Workplace accidents that most commonly result in deaths include:
- Falls from heights
- Fire and explosions
- Malfunctions or flaws with equipment
- Vehicle accidents
- Exposure to harmful substances or environments
- Accidents caused by improper training
In these cases, determining if there is any third-party liability for negligence depends on how the accident happened. If your loved one died as a result of the negligent conduct of a worker from a different company, that worker or that other company can be held responsible for damages. However, usually, if a death or injury happens at the workplace or while the employee is “on the clock”, the case would fall under workers’ compensation.
Wrongful Death Due to Medical Malpractice
Wrongful death due to medical malpractice is among the trickier case types in personal injury law. Given this, you want to make sure you have an experienced attorney on your side when you’re handling medical malpractice of any kind.
Medical malpractice that can result in a wrongful death includes:
- Early discharge from a medical facility
- Wrong medication or dose
- Surgical mistake
- Improper diagnosis or overlooked diagnosis
- Birth injury
If a person you love passed away due to the negligence of a physician, nurse, or healthcare center, contact one of our medical malpractice lawyers at Marko Law immediately so we can start to investigate and build your case.
Compensation in a Wrongful Death Case
Family members might be qualified to recoup for many types of damages and losses from a wrongful death in Canton, including:
- The pain, suffering and grief of the surviving family members– There is not a more difficult time in life than when you lose someone you love. The feelings and pain you might experience can be unbearable. We know that no amount of money will make you feel whole again. However, the family members have a right to a monetary recuperation for the pain of experiencing this unfortunate experience.
- Funeral expenses– Almost immediately after a tragic loss, family members have to incur substantial expense for a funeral. Part of this law firm’s role will be to recover expenses because of the funeral.
- Medical bills and costs– In many wrongful death cases, the medical costs before passing away can be very expensive. Often, billing may exceed several hundred thousand dollars. Our law firm will strive to recuperate those expenses from the negligent party.
- Loss of consortium– You have a right to recuperate for the loss of no longer being able to spend and enjoy time with your loved one.
- Loss of the future earnings of the deceased– Oftentimes the family member that dies was earning income. Family members were relying on that loved one to support the family. They have a right to recover that loss of future earnings. If needed, our law firm can hire an economist to identify what amount your loved one would have made throughout the rest of their life.
- Punitive damages– During a wrongful death claim, attorneys will determine whether it is appropriate to request leave of Court to file a punitive damages count in the lawsuit. Punitive damages are meant to penalize the responsible party for intentional and/or outrageous conduct.
Free Wrongful Death Claim Consultation
No amount of money can adequately compensate an accident victim’s family after a fatality due to negligence or recklessness. Nevertheless, these family members deserve financial relief that is available under local and state laws. After an accident, many families choose to talk to a wrongful death lawyer in Canton to learn whether they have a case.
The type of accident can impact what means of recovery are offered to a family and how soon those claims need to be sought. For these reasons, it is a good idea to seek legal counsel as soon as possible after a death.
If you think a negligent party might have caused a wrongful death of a family member in the Canton area, Get in touch with us for a free wrongful death claim consultation or call (313) 777-7LAW to talk with a wrongful death lawyer in Canton.
Contact Us Today to Get a Free Consultation
If you are ready to start your case or need more information about Wrongful Death in Canton, Michigan, contact Marko Law Firm today. Let us represent you as you seek justice and compensation for your pain and damages. Call (313) 777-7LAW today to get a free consultation or visit our website: MarkoLaw.com to get more information.