Marko Law Firm – Sexual Harassment Lawyer in Dearborn Height
What Is Sexual Harassment & When Might You Need a Sexual Harassment Lawyer?
Sexual harassment can take many forms:
- Unwelcome sexual advances
- Requests for sexual favors
- Verbal or physical harassment that is sexual in nature
- The promise of promotion or reward in return for sex
- Feeling unsafe because a person has acted in a sexual nature in your presence
- Threats of harm or humiliation for withholding sex
Some sexual harassment is overt and obvious. In other situations, victims may not immediately realize that they are experiencing sexual harassment. Perhaps the advances they are starting to question or the level of inappropriateness that has happened has become normalized and accepted. None of these situations are okay. A Dearborn Height sexual harassment lawyer will help you understand sexual harassment, advise you of your rights, and consult with you to establish whether a lawsuit is the best course of action.
Why You Need to Hire a Sexual Harassment Lawyer
Sexual harassment can take place anywhere– at school, work, hospitals, bus stops, even home. There are levels of sexual harassment that a court will question, and a knowledgeable attorney can help you determine. For instance:
- Does the harassment you want to report qualify as conduct that any practical person would find offensive?
- Is the conduct serious or pervasive?
- Is your work environment considered a hostile environment under sexual harassment law?
- Was the conduct truly unwanted?
If you have been a victim of sexual harassment, you might be reluctant to report the incident or file a claim. You are not alone. Many people in similar situations fear being retaliated against, embarrassed, or shunned because of their claims. Sexual harassment is never okay, but before you file a lawsuit, you need to be aware of the hurdles you have to cross to prove your case. You can protect yourself with the assistance of a sexual harassment attorney.
Sexual Harassment in the Workplace
Sexual harassment can be prevalent in some workplaces and subtle in others. There can be entire professional cultures in which sexual harassment is tolerated and never addressed. Workplace sexual harassment puts victims in a precarious situation. Bringing accusations against superiors, colleagues, partners, customers, or clients can shake the foundation of an organization and, some victims may fear, put their job at risk.
Worrying about the professional consequences that can come from accusing a person of sexual harassment is enough to paralyze individuals. But you are legally entitled to a workplace without sexual harassment. Your sexual harassment lawyer can advise and assist you in any of the following scenarios:
- The best moves to make, whether or not your company has a sexual harassment policy
- The first step to take– report it to your company, submit a complaint, contact law enforcement, or take legal action
- How to proceed when your company dismisses or denies the complaint
- What to do when your company does not take your complaint seriously or alleges the behavior does not constitute sexual harassment
- When the punishment for your harasser is insufficient and does not stop the harassment
- Identifying whether offensive behavior is targeted sexual harassment or bad judgment on the part of the accused
- The differences between supervisor harassment and colleague harassment
- The action to take if you have been punished, demoted or terminated because you reported sexual harassment
- Determining whether or not you are protected under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act
It is smart for your sexual harassment attorney to be there when you meet with your company regarding your complaint.
When You Are Prepared to Hire a Sexual Harassment Lawyer in Dearborn Height
Sexual harassment is an emotional, mental, and sometimes physical crime. Victims of sexual harassment are all alike in their suffering, and the level of sexual harassment that you have endured does not have to be “good enough” to be deserving of a claim.
When you aren’t sure what to do first, where to turn, or when have more questions than you do answers regarding your sexual harassment complaint, consult with your Dearborn Height sexual harassment attorney. He or she will help you figure out if what you experienced is considered sexual harassment under the law and what your next move should be.
If you believe you have been a victim of sexual harassment in the workplace or in any kind of situation, reach out to Marko Law at (313) 777-7LAW to set up your free consultation. We are on your side.