Marko Law – Sexual Harassment Attorney in Dearborn, Michigan
What Is Sexual Harassment & When Might You Need a Sexual Harassment Lawyer?
Sexual harassment can take various forms:
- unwelcome sexual advances
- requests for sexual favors
- verbal or physical harassment that is sexual in nature
- the promise of advancement or reward in return for sex
- feeling unsafe because an individual has acted in a sexual nature in your presence
- threats of harm or humiliation for withholding sex
Some sexual harassment is blatant and obvious. In other cases, victims might not immediately realize that they are experiencing sexual harassment. Perhaps the overtures they are starting to question or the level of inappropriateness that has happened has become normalized and accepted.
None of these circumstances are okay.
A Dearborn sexual harassment lawyer will help you understand sexual harassment, advise you of your legal rights, and consult with you to establish whether a lawsuit is the best course of action.
Why You Need to Work With a Sexual Harassment Lawyer
Sexual harassment can happen anywhere– at school, work, hospitals, bus stop, even home. There are levels of sexual harassment that a court will question, and an expert attorney can help you figure out. For example:
- Does the harassment you want to report qualify as conduct that any practical person would find offensive?
- Is the conduct serious or pervasive?
- Is your workplace considered a hostile environment under sexual harassment legislation?
- Was the conduct truly unwanted?
If you have been a victim of sexual harassment, you might be hesitant to report the incident or file a lawsuit. You are not the only one. Lots of people in similar circumstances fear being retaliated against, embarrassed, or shunned because of their claims. Sexual harassment is never okay, but before you file a claim, you need to be aware of the hurdles you have to cross to prove your claim. You can protect yourself with the assistance of a sexual harassment lawyer.
Sexual Harassment in the Workplace
Sexual harassment can be prevalent in some work environments and subtle in others. There can be entire professional cultures where sexual harassment is accepted and never addressed. Workplace sexual harassment places victims in a precarious situation. Bringing allegations against superiors, coworkers, partners, customers, or clients can rattle the foundation of an organization and, some victims might fear, put their job at risk.
Worrying about the professional repercussions that can come from accusing someone of sexual harassment is enough to immobilize people. But you are legally entitled to a work environment without sexual harassment. Your sexual harassment lawyer can inform and assist you in any of the following situations:
- the best moves to make, whether or not your employer has a sexual harassment policy
- the first step to take– report it to your employer, submit a complaint, get in touch with law enforcement, or take legal action
- how to move forward when your employer ignores or denies the complaint
- what to do when your company does not take your complaint seriously or insists the behavior does not constitute sexual harassment
- when the discipline for your harasser is inadequate and does not end the harassment
- determining whether offensive behavior is targeted sexual harassment or poor judgment on the part of the accused
- the differences between supervisor harassment and colleague harassment
- the step to take if you have been disciplined, demoted, or terminated because you reported sexual harassment
- figuring out whether or not you are protected under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act
It is smart for your sexual harassment lawyer to be present when you meet with your employer regarding your complaint.
When You Are Ready to Hire a Sexual Harassment Lawyer in Dearborn
Sexual harassment is an emotional, mental, and in some cases physical crime. Victims of sexual harassment are all alike in their suffering, and the level of sexual harassment that you have endured does not need to be “good enough” to be worthy of a case.
When you aren’t sure what to do first, where to turn, or when have more questions than you do answers about your sexual harassment complaint, consult with your Dearborn sexual harassment lawyer. He or she will help you determine if what you experienced is considered sexual harassment under the law and what your next step should be.
If you believe you have been a victim of sexual harassment in the workplace or in any situation, reach out to Marko Law at (313) 777-7LAW to schedule your free consultation. We are on your side.