Detroit Wrongful Death Attorney
Has a Family Member Suffered a Wrongful Death in Detroit?
Some of the injuries cases our law firm takes on involve a death caused by a negligent party. If a person has passed away in an accident, the family of the deceased is likely entitled to compensation for their tragic loss. You will need the assistance of an experienced Detroit wrongful death lawyer. The lawyers at Marko Law fight for accident and injury victims and their families every day. They may be able to help you receive compensation for your loss.
Wrongful death is where the negligence or recklessness of a person or company are responsible for a casualty. The law in Michigan understands that when one person’s actions cost another his life, the responsible individual must be legally liable to pay damages to the victim’s family. This means that when a family member is killed in an accident, the surviving family members may be entitled to bring a civil claim against those responsible for the accident.
Common Kinds of Cases that Lead to Wrongful Death
Some of the most common kinds of cases that result in a wrongful death are automobile accidents, slips and falls, workplace accidents, and medical malpractice.
When an Automobile Accident Causes Wrongful Death
Losing a family member to an automobile accident is devastating. And it can be emotionally challenging to consider what you should do next when you are so early in the grieving process. However, some people report that filing a claim helped to provide comfort because they had one less thing to worry about. A wrongful death claim means that something is being done to get justice for a deceased loved one.
A car accident that causes a wrongful death can leave a family with major stress about repaying medical expenses, handling funeral expenses, and losing earnings from a primary provider. Marko Law can help to guarantee that you get the compensation that you are entitled to for medical bills, lost income, loss of consortium, as well as pain and suffering.
Wrongful death because of a motor vehicle accident can occur at the scene of the accident or later when the victim succumbs to their injuries. Although fatal motor vehicle accidents are commonly caused by intoxicated drivers, distracted motorists, and speeding, practically any type of car accident can result in a fatal collision. Some of the most common injuries from car accidents that later lead to wrongful death are traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, and internal injuries. If your loved one passes away from complications because of their injury, it still falls under the umbrella of wrongful death. Therefore, the at-fault party can still be sued for their negligence.
Wrongful Death Due to Slip and Fall Accidents
Slip and fall accidents are rarely considered a deadly kind of accident. However, this is simply not accurate. Slips and falls can be deadly, particularly if the head strikes the ground or another hard surface.
Slips and falls can happen practically anywhere. But some of the most common places that slip and falls happen that qualify as wrongful deaths are grocery stores, commercial businesses, apartment complexes, parking lots, and workplaces. The way your wrongful death case will be sought is different depending on where the accident happened. For example, claims against large commercial companies differ in their parameters and insurance policies compared to slip and fall deaths that take place at a private residence.
Slips and falls can also be deadly when they happen to a senior citizen. A slip and fall can put significant strain on an older person that they may never recuperate from. When you are in the later stages of life and all of a sudden you need to be bedridden for an extended period of time, your chances of recovering completely are much slimmer. In fact, falls are the leading source of injury-related death for adults aged 65 and older. And this number appears to be rising.
Workplace Wrongful Death
Workplace accidents that most commonly cause fatalities consist of:
- Falls from heights
- Fire and explosions
- Malfunctions or flaws with equipment
- Vehicle accidents
- Exposure to hazardous substances or environments
- Accidents caused by improper training
In these situations, identifying if there is any third-party liability for negligence depends on how the accident happened. If your loved one died due to the negligent conduct of a worker from a different company, that employee or that other company can be held responsible for damages. But, typically if a death or injury occurs at the workplace or while the employee is “on the clock”, the case would fall under workers’ compensation.
Wrongful Death Due to Medical Malpractice
Wrongful death because of medical malpractice is one of the trickier case types in personal injury law. Because of this, you need to be sure you have an experienced attorney on your side when you’re dealing with medical malpractice of any type.
Medical malpractice that can lead to a wrongful death includes:
- Early discharge from hospital
- Incorrect medication or dose
- Surgical error
- Improper diagnosis or overlooked diagnosis
- Birth injury
If a person you love died because of the negligence of a physician, nurse, or healthcare center, call one of our medical malpractice attorneys at Marko Law right away so we can begin to investigate and build your case.
Compensation in a Wrongful Death Claim
Family members might be qualified to recoup for various kinds of damages and losses from a wrongful death in Detroit, including:
- The pain, suffering and grief of the surviving family members– There is not a more difficult time in life than when you lose someone you love. The feelings and pain you may experience can be unbearable. We realize that no amount of money will make you feel whole again. However, the family members have a right to financial recuperation for the pain of experiencing this unfortunate experience.
- Funeral expenses– Almost immediately after a tragic loss, family members have to incur a significant expense for a funeral. Part of this law firm’s role will be to recover expenses because of the funeral.
- Medical bills and costs– In many wrongful death cases, the medical expenses prior to passing away can be extremely expensive. Commonly, billing might exceed several hundred thousand dollars. Our law firm will work to recover those costs from the negligent party.
- Loss of consortium– You have a right to recover for the loss of no longer getting to spend and enjoy time with your family member.
- Loss of the future wages of the deceased– Oftentimes the family member that dies was earning income. Family members were depending on that loved one to support the family. They have a right to recuperate that loss of future income. If needed, our law firm could retain an economist to determine what amount your loved one would have earned during the remainder of their life.
- Punitive damages– During a wrongful death case, attorneys will decide whether it is appropriate to ask for leave of Court to file a punitive damages count in the claim. Punitive damages are intended to penalize the at-fault party for intentional and/or outrageous conduct.
Free Wrongful Death Claim Consultation
No amount of money can properly compensate an accident victim’s loved ones after a death due to negligence or recklessness. Nevertheless, these family members deserve financial relief that is available under local and state laws. After an accident, numerous families decide to talk to a wrongful death attorney in Detroit to find out whether they have a case.
The type of accident can impact what means of recovery are provided to a family and how soon those claims have to be pursued. For these reasons, it is a good idea to pursue legal counsel immediately after a death.
If you believe a negligent party might have caused a wrongful death of a family member in the Detroit area, Contact us for a free wrongful death claim consultation or call (313) 777-7LAW to speak with a wrongful death attorney in Detroit.
Contact Us Today to Get a Free Consultation
If you are ready to start your case or need more information about Wrongful Death in Detroit, Michigan, contact Marko Law Firm today. Let us represent you as you seek justice and compensation for your pain and damages. Call (313) 777-7LAW today to get a free consultation or visit our website: MarkoLaw.com to get more information.