Wrongful Death Attorney in Flint, Michigan
Has a Family Member Suffered a Wrongful Death in Flint?
Some of the injuries cases our law firm takes on involve a death caused by a negligent party. If an individual has died in an accident, the loved ones of the deceased are likely entitled to compensation for their tragic loss. You will need the help of a knowledgeable Flint wrongful death lawyer. The lawyers at Marko Law fight for accident and injury victims and their loved ones every day. They may be able to help you get compensation for your loss.
Wrongful death is where the negligence or recklessness of an individual or company are responsible for a fatal accident. The law in Michigan understands that when someone’s actions cost another his or her life, the responsible person needs to be legally liable to pay damages to the victim’s family. This means that when a family member dies in an accident, the surviving family members may be entitled to bring a civil case against those responsible for the accident.
Common Kinds of Cases That Result in Wrongful Death
A few of the most common types of situations that result in a wrongful death are motor vehicle accidents, slips and falls, workplace accidents, and medical malpractice.
When a Car Accident Causes Wrongful Death
Losing a loved one to a motor vehicle accident is devastating. And it can be emotionally challenging to consider what you should do next when you are so early in the mourning process. However, some individuals report that filing a claim helped to provide peace of mind because they had one less thing to worry about. A wrongful death case means that something is being done to get justice for a deceased loved one.
A car accident that leads to wrongful death can leave a family with significant stress and anxiety about paying back medical bills, handling funeral costs, and losing income from a primary provider. Marko Law can help to ensure that you obtain the compensation that you are entitled to for medical costs, lost earnings, loss of consortium, as well as pain and suffering.
Wrongful death because of a motor vehicle accident can occur at the scene of the accident or later when the victim succumbs to their injuries. Although fatal automobile accidents are oftentimes caused by intoxicated motorists, distracted drivers, and speeding, almost any kind of automobile accident can lead to a fatal collision. A few of the most common injuries from motor vehicle accidents that later result in a wrongful death are traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, and internal injuries. If your loved one dies from complications because of their injury, it still falls under the umbrella of wrongful death. As such, the at-fault party can still be sued for their negligence.
Wrongful Death Due to Slip and Fall Accidents
Slip and fall accidents are seldom considered a deadly type of accident. However, this is simply not accurate. Slips and falls can be fatal, especially if the head strikes the ground or another hard surface.
Slips and falls can occur practically anywhere. However, some of the most common locations where slip and falls occur that qualify as wrongful deaths are grocery stores, commercial businesses, apartment complexes, parking lots, and places of work. The way your wrongful death claim will be sought is different depending on where the accident occurred. For instance, claims against big commercial businesses differ in their parameters and insurance policies compared to slip and fall deaths that occur at a private residence.
Slips and falls can also be fatal when they happen to an elderly person. A slip and fall can place significant pressure on an older individual that they may never recuperate from. When you are in the later stages of life and all of a sudden you need to be bedridden for a long period of time, your chances of recovering completely are much slimmer. In fact, falls are the leading source of injury-related death for adults aged 65 and older. And this number seems to be rising.
Workplace Wrongful Death
Workplace accidents that most commonly lead to deaths include:
- Falls from heights
- Fire and explosions
- Malfunctions or errors with equipment
- Vehicle accidents
- Exposure to hazardous substances or environments
- Accidents caused by improper training
In these instances, identifying if there is any third-party liability for negligence depends on how the accident occurred. If your loved one passed away because of the negligent conduct of a worker from a different company, that worker or that other company can be held responsible for damages. However, generally, if a death or injury occurs at the workplace or while the worker is “on the clock”, the case would fall under workers’ compensation.
Wrongful Death Due to Medical Malpractice
Wrongful death due to medical malpractice is among the trickier case types in personal injury law. Given this, you want to make sure you have a qualified attorney on your side when you’re handling medical malpractice of any kind.
Medical malpractice that can result in a wrongful death includes:
- Early discharge from a medical facility
- Wrong medication or dosage
- Surgical mistake
- Incorrect diagnosis or missed diagnosis
- Birth injury
If somebody you love died due to the negligence of a physician, nurse, or healthcare facility, contact one of our medical malpractice lawyers at Marko Law as soon as possible so we can begin to investigate and build your case.
Compensation in a Wrongful Death Claim
Family members might be qualified to recover for many kinds of damages and losses from a wrongful death in Flint, including:
- The pain, suffering, and grief of the surviving family members– There is not a harder time in life than when you lose somebody you love. The feelings and pain you may experience can be unbearable. We realize that no amount of money will make you feel whole again. However, the family members have a right to a monetary recovery for the pain of experiencing this tragic experience.
- Funeral costs– Almost immediately after a tragic loss, family members have to incur substantial expenses for a funeral. Part of this law firm’s job will be to recover expenses because of the funeral.
- Medical bills and expenses– In many wrongful death cases, the medical expenses before passing away can be very expensive. Commonly, billing might exceed several hundred thousand dollars. Our law firm will work to recover those expenses from the negligent party.
- Loss of consortium– You have a right to recuperate for the loss of no longer getting to spend and enjoy time with your family member.
- Loss of the future income of the deceased– Commonly the family member that dies was earning income. Family members were depending on that loved one to support the household. They have a right to recuperate that loss of future wages. If necessary, our law firm could hire an economist to determine what amount your family member would have made throughout the rest of their life.
- Punitive damages– During a wrongful death case, lawyers will determine whether it is appropriate to ask for leave of Court to file a punitive damages count in the case. Punitive damages are intended to punish the responsible party for deliberate and/or outrageous conduct.
Free Wrongful Death Case Consultation
No amount of money can properly compensate an accident victim’s loved ones after a death caused by negligence or recklessness. Nevertheless, these family members are entitled to financial relief that is provided under local and state laws. After an accident, many families decide to consult with a wrongful death attorney in Flint to learn whether they have a case.
The kind of accident can affect what options of recovery are offered to a family and how soon those claims have to be sought. For these reasons, it is a good idea to seek legal counsel immediately after death.
If you think a negligent party might have caused a wrongful death of a family member in the Flint area, Get in touch with us for a free wrongful death claim consultation or call (313) 777-7LAW to speak with a wrongful death lawyer in Flint.