Flint Wrongful Death Lawyer
Has a Family Member Suffered a Wrongful Death in Flint?
Some of the injury cases our law firm takes on involve a death caused by a negligent party. If a person has passed away in an accident, the family members of the deceased are probably entitled to compensation for their terrible loss. You will need the help of an experienced Flint wrongful death attorney. The attorneys at Marko Law fight for accident and injury victims and their families everyday. They may be able to help you obtain compensation for your loss.
A wrongful death is where the negligence or recklessness of an individual or company are responsible for a casualty. The law in Michigan recognizes that when one person’s actions cost another his or her life, the responsible person must be legally liable to pay damages to the victim’s loved ones. This means that when a loved one is killed in an accident, the surviving family members may be entitled to bring a civil case against those responsible for the accident.
Common Kinds of Cases that Lead to Wrongful Death
Some of the most common types of cases that result in wrongful death are motor vehicle accidents, slips and falls, workplace accidents, and medical malpractice.
When an Automobile Accident Causes Wrongful Death
Losing a loved one to a motor vehicle accident is devastating. And it can be emotionally challenging to consider what you need to do next when you are so early in the grieving process. However, some people report that filing a claim helped to give them comfort since they had one less thing to worry about. A wrongful death case means that something is being done to get justice for a deceased family member.
An automobile accident that leads to a wrongful death can leave a family with significant stress and anxiety regarding repaying medical costs, handling funeral costs, and losing earnings from a primary provider. Marko Law can help to make sure that you obtain the compensation that you are entitled to for medical bills, lost income, loss of consortium, as well as pain and suffering.
Wrongful death caused by a motor vehicle accident can occur at the scene of the accident or later when the victim succumbs to their injuries. Although deadly motor vehicle accidents are commonly caused by drunk motorists, distracted motorists, and speeding, almost any type of automobile accident can result in a deadly collision. Some of the most common injuries from automobile accidents that later lead to wrongful death are traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, and internal injuries. If your loved one dies from complications due to their injury, it still falls under the umbrella of wrongful death. As such, the at-fault party can still be sued for their negligence.
Wrongful Death Because of Slip and Fall Accidents
Slip and fall accidents are rarely considered a deadly type of accident. However, this is simply not accurate. Slips and falls can be deadly, especially if the head strikes the ground or another hard surface.
Slips and falls can happen almost anywhere. However, some of the most prevalent locations where slip and falls occur that qualify as wrongful deaths are grocery stores, commercial businesses, apartment complexes, parking lots, and workplaces. The way your wrongful death claim will be pursued is different depending on where the accident occurred. For instance, cases against big commercial companies differ in their parameters and insurance policies compared to slip and fall deaths that take place at a private residence.
Slips and falls can also be fatal when they occur to an elderly person. A slip and fall can place serious strain on an older person that they might never recover from. When you are in the later stages of life and all of a sudden you need to be bedridden for a long period of time, your chances of recovering completely are much slimmer. In fact, falls are the leading cause of injury-related death for adults aged 65 and older. And this number appears to be increasing.
Workplace Wrongful Death
Workplace accidents that most commonly result in fatalities include:
- Falls from heights
- Fire and explosions
- Malfunctions or flaws with equipment
- Vehicle accidents
- Exposure to hazardous substances or environments
- Accidents caused by poor training
In these instances, identifying if there is any third-party liability for negligence depends on how the accident occurred. If your loved one passed away because of negligent conduct of an employee from a different company, that employee or that other company can be held responsible for damages. But, usually if a death or injury occurs at the workplace or while the employee is “on the clock”, the case would fall under workers’ compensation.
Wrongful Death Because of Medical Malpractice
Wrongful death because of medical malpractice is one of the trickier case types in personal injury law. Given this, you want to make sure you have an experienced attorney on your side when you’re dealing with medical malpractice of any type.
Medical malpractice that can cause a wrongful death includes:
- Early discharge from hospital
- Incorrect medication or dose
- Surgical mistake
- Incorrect diagnosis or overlooked diagnosis
- Birth injury
If somebody you love passed away as a result of the negligence of a doctor, nurse, or healthcare center, call one of our medical malpractice attorneys at Marko Law as soon as possible so we can begin to investigate and build your case.
Compensation in a Wrongful Death Claim
Family members might be qualified to recoup for several types of damages and losses from a wrongful death in Flint, including:
- The pain, suffering and grief of the surviving family members– There is not a harder time in life than when you lose somebody you love. The feelings and pain you may experience can be unbearable. We know that no amount of money will make you feel whole again. However, the family members have a right to a monetary recovery for the pain of going through this tragic experience.
- Funeral expenses– Almost immediately after a tragic loss, family members have to incur substantial expense for a funeral. Part of this law firm’s job will be to recover expenses because of the funeral.
- Medical bills and expenses– In many wrongful death cases, the medical bills before passing away can be very expensive. Commonly, billing may exceed several hundred thousand dollars. Our law firm will strive to recuperate those expenses from the negligent party.
- Loss of consortium– You have a right to recover for the loss of no longer getting to spend and enjoy time with your loved one.
- Loss of the future wages of the deceased– Commonly the family member that passed away was earning income. Family members were relying on that loved one to support the family. They have a right to recuperate that loss of future earnings. If necessary, our law firm can employ an economist to determine what amount your family member would have made throughout the rest of their life.
- Punitive damages– During a wrongful death claim, attorneys will decide whether it is appropriate to ask for leave of Court to file a punitive damages count in the case. Punitive damages are meant to punish the at fault party for deliberate and/or outrageous conduct.
Free Wrongful Death Claim Consultation
No amount of money can adequately compensate an accident victim’s loved ones after a fatality because of negligence or recklessness. Nevertheless, these family members deserve financial relief that is available under local and state laws. After an accident, several families choose to consult with a wrongful death attorney in Flint to learn whether they have a case.
The kind of accident can impact what options of recovery are offered to a family and how soon those claims have to be pursued. For these reasons, it is a good idea to seek legal counsel immediately after a fatality.
If you believe a negligent party might have caused a wrongful death of a family member in the Flint area, Reach out to us for a free wrongful death claim consultation or call (313) 777-7LAW to speak with a wrongful death attorney in Flint.
Contact Us Today to Get a Free Consultation
If you are ready to start your case or need more information about a Wrongful Death Lawyer in Flint, Michigan, contact Marko Law Firm today. Let us represent you as you seek justice and compensation for your pain and damages. Call (313) 777-7LAW today to get a free consultation or visit our website: MarkoLaw.com to get more information.