Marko Law Firm – Sexual Harassment Attorneys in Grand Rapids, Michigan
What Is Sexual Harassment & When Might You Need a Sexual Harassment Lawyer?
Sexual harassment can take various forms:
- Unwanted sexual advances
- Requests for sexual favors
- Verbal or physical harassment that is sexual in nature
- The promise of promotion or reward in return for sex
- Feeling unsafe because an individual has acted in a sexual nature in your presence
- Threats of harm or humiliation for withholding sex
Some sexual harassment is overt and obvious. In other cases, victims may not immediately realize that they are experiencing sexual harassment. Perhaps the advances they are beginning to question or the level of inappropriateness that has happened has become normalized and accepted.
None of these circumstances are okay.
A Grand Rapids sexual harassment attorney will help you understand sexual harassment, advise you of your legal rights, and work with you to determine whether a lawsuit is the best course of action.
Why You Need to Work With a Sexual Harassment Lawyer
Sexual harassment can occur anywhere– at school, work, hospitals, bus stop, even home. There are levels of sexual harassment that a court will question, and an experienced lawyer can help you determine. For example:
- Does the harassment you wish to report qualify as conduct that any reasonable person would consider offensive?
- Is the conduct serious or pervasive?
- Is your work environment considered a hostile environment under sexual harassment legislation?
- Was the conduct genuinely unwanted?
If you have been a victim of sexual harassment, you might be hesitant to report the incident or file a lawsuit. You are not the only one. Many people in similar situations fear being retaliated against, humiliated, or ostracized because of their claims. Sexual harassment is never okay, however before you file a lawsuit, you need to be aware of the obstacles you must navigate to prove your case. You can protect yourself with the assistance of a sexual harassment attorney.
Sexual Harassment in the Workplace
Sexual harassment can be prevalent in some work environments and subtle in others. There can be entire professional cultures where sexual harassment is accepted and never addressed. Workplace sexual harassment puts victims in a precarious situation. Bringing allegations against superiors, colleagues, partners, customers, or clients can rattle the foundation of a business and, some victims might fear, put their job in danger.
Stressing over the professional repercussions that might come from accusing an individual of sexual harassment is enough to paralyze individuals. Still, you are legally entitled to a work environment free of sexual harassment. Your sexual harassment lawyer can inform and assist you in any of the following scenarios:
- The most effective moves to make, whether or not your company has a sexual harassment policy
- The first step to take– report it to your employer, file a complaint, contact authorities, or take legal action
- How to continue when your employer ignores or refutes the complaint
- What to do when your employer does not take your complaint seriously or insists the behavior does not constitute sexual harassment
- When the punishment for your harasser is inadequate and does not stop the harassment
- Identifying whether offensive behavior is targeted sexual harassment or poor judgment on the part of the accused
- The differences between supervisor harassment and coworker harassment
- The action to take if you have been punished, demoted or terminated because you reported sexual harassment
- Determining whether or not you are protected under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act
It is wise for your sexual harassment attorney to be there when you meet with your company about your complaint.
When You Are Prepared to Hire a Sexual Harassment Lawyer in Grand Rapids
Sexual harassment is an emotional, mental, and in some cases physical crime. Victims of sexual harassment are all equal in their suffering, and the degree of sexual harassment that you have endured does not have to be “good enough” to be worthy of a case.
When you are not certain what to do first, where to turn, or when have more questions than you do answers about your sexual harassment complaint, consult with your Grand Rapids sexual harassment attorney. He or she will help you figure out if what you experienced is considered sexual harassment under the law and what your next move should be.
Contact Us Today to Get a Free Assessment
If you believe you have been a victim of sexual harassment in the workplace or in any kind of situation, reach out to Marko Law at (313) 777-7LAW to schedule your free consultation. We are on your side.