Has a Loved One Suffered a Wrongful Death in Pontiac?
Some of the injuries claims our law firm handles involve a death caused by a negligent party. If a person has passed away in an accident, the loved ones of the deceased are probably entitled to compensation for their tragic loss. You will need the help of a qualified Pontiac wrongful death attorney. The attorneys at Marko Law defend accident and injury victims and their loved ones every day. They may be able to help you obtain compensation for your loss.
Wrongful death is where the negligence or recklessness of an individual or company is responsible for a fatal accident. The law in Michigan understands that when one person’s actions cost another his or her life, the responsible person should be legally liable to pay damages to the victim’s family members. This means that when a family member is killed in an accident, the surviving family members may be entitled to bring a civil case against those responsible for the accident.
Common Kinds of Cases that Result In Wrongful Death
A few of the most common kinds of situations that result in a wrongful death are car accidents, slips and falls, workplace accidents, and medical malpractice.
When a Car Accident Causes Wrongful Death
Losing a family member to a motor vehicle accident is devastating. And it can be emotionally challenging to consider what you should do next when you are so early in the mourning process. However, some individuals report that filing a claim helped to provide comfort since they had one less thing to worry about. A wrongful death claim means that something is being done to get justice for a deceased family member.
A car accident that results in wrongful death can leave a family with significant stress about repaying medical costs, managing funeral costs, and losing income from a primary provider. Marko Law can help to guarantee that you get the compensation that you are entitled to for medical costs, lost income, loss of consortium, as well as pain and suffering.
Wrongful death due to a motor vehicle accident can occur at the scene of the accident or later when the victim succumbs to their injuries. Although deadly motor vehicle accidents are commonly caused by drunk drivers, distracted drivers, and speeding, practically any type of motor vehicle accident can lead to a fatal crash. A few of the most common injuries from motor vehicle accidents that later result in a wrongful death are traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, and internal injuries. If your loved one dies from complications due to their injury, it still falls under the umbrella of wrongful death. As such, the at-fault party can still be sued for their negligence.
Wrongful Death Because of Slip and Fall Accidents
Slip and fall accidents are rarely considered a fatal type of accidents. However, this is just not accurate. Slips and falls can be deadly, especially if the head strikes the ground or another hard surface.
Slips and falls can happen practically anywhere. However, some of the most prevalent places where slip and falls occur that qualify as wrongful deaths are grocery stores, commercial businesses, apartment complexes, parking lots, and places of work. The way your wrongful death case will be pursued is different depending on where the accident occurred. For instance, claims against large commercial businesses differ in their parameters and insurance policies compared to slip and fall deaths that happen at a private residence.
Slips and falls can also be fatal when they occur to an elderly person. A slip and fall can put major pressure on an older individual that they may never recover from. When you are in the later stages of life and all of a sudden you need to be bedridden for a long period of time, your odds of recovering completely are much slimmer. As a matter of fact, falls are the leading cause of injury-related death for adults aged 65 and older. And this number seems to be increasing.
Workplace Wrongful Death
Workplace accidents that most commonly result in fatalities include:
- Falls from heights
- Fire and explosions
- Malfunctions or flaws with equipment
- Vehicle accidents
- Exposure to dangerous substances or environments
- Accidents caused by improper training
In these instances, identifying if there is any third-party liability for negligence depends on how the accident happened. If your loved one died due to negligent conduct of an employee from a different company, that worker or that other company can be held responsible for damages. But, usually, if a death or injury occurs at the workplace or while the employee is “on the clock”, the case would fall under workers’ compensation.
Wrongful Death Due to Medical Malpractice
Wrongful death because of medical malpractice is among the trickier case types in personal injury law. Given this, you want to be sure you have a competent lawyer on your side when you’re dealing with medical malpractice of any kind.
Medical malpractice that can cause a wrongful death includes:
- Early discharge from a medical facility
- Incorrect medication or dose
- Surgical mistake
- Improper diagnosis or overlooked diagnosis
- Birth injury
If somebody you love died because of the negligence of a doctor, nurse, or healthcare center, call one of our medical malpractice attorneys at Marko Law immediately so we can begin to investigate and develop your case.
Compensation In a Wrongful Death Case
Family members might be entitled to recoup various types of damages and losses from a wrongful death in Pontiac, including:
- The pain, suffering, and grief of the surviving family members– There is not a more difficult time in life than when you lose someone you love. The feelings and pain you may experience can be unbearable. We understand that no amount of money will make you feel whole again. Nevertheless, the loved ones have a right to a monetary recovery for the pain of experiencing this tragic experience.
- Funeral costs– Almost immediately after a tragic loss, family members have to incur a significant cost for a funeral. Part of this law firm’s job will be to recover expenses because of the funeral.
- Medical bills and expenses– In a lot of wrongful death cases, the medical expenses prior to passing away can be very expensive. Commonly, billing may exceed several hundred thousand dollars. Our law firm will work to recover those expenses from the negligent party.
- Loss of consortium– You have a right to recuperate for the loss of no longer getting to spend and enjoy time with your loved one.
- Loss of the future income of the deceased– Commonly the family member that dies was earning income. Family members were depending on that loved one to support the household. They have a right to recuperate that loss of future earnings. If necessary, our law firm could employ an economist to establish what amount your family member would have made throughout the rest of their life.
- Punitive damages– During a wrongful death case, attorneys will decide whether it is appropriate to request leave of Court to file a punitive damages count in the claim. Punitive damages are intended to punish the at-fault party for deliberate and/or outrageous conduct.
Free Wrongful Death Case Consultation
No amount of money can properly compensate an accident victim’s family after a fatality caused by negligence or recklessness. Nevertheless, these family members are entitled to financial relief that is offered under local and state laws. After an accident, lots of families choose to speak with a wrongful death attorney in Pontiac to find out whether they have a case.
The type of accident can impact what means of recovery are provided to a family and how soon those claims need to be pursued. For these reasons, it is a good idea to seek legal counsel as soon as possible after a death.
If you believe a negligent party may have caused a wrongful death of a family member in the Pontiac area, Contact us for a free wrongful death claim consultation or call (313) 777-7LAW to talk to a wrongful death lawyer in Pontiac.
Contact Us Today to Get a Free Consultation
If you are ready to start your case or need more information about Wrongful Death in Pontiac, Michigan, contact Marko Law Firm today. Let us represent you as you seek justice and compensation for your pain and damages. Call (313) 777-7LAW today to get a free consultation or visit our website: MarkoLaw.com to get more information.