What Is Sexual Harassment & When Might You Need a Sexual Harrasment Lawyer?
Sexual harassment can take various forms:
- unwelcome sexual advances
- requests for sexual favors
- verbal or physical harassment that is sexual in nature
- the promise of promotion or reward in return for sex
- feeling unsafe because someone has acted in a sexual nature in your presence
- threats of harm or humiliation for withholding sex
Some sexual harassment is overt and obvious. In other circumstances, victims may not immediately recognize that they are experiencing sexual harassment. Maybe the advances they are starting to question or the level of inappropriateness that has occurred has become normalized and accepted.
None of these circumstances are okay.
A Royal Oak sexual harassment lawyer will help you recognize sexual harassment, advise you of your rights, and work with you to determine whether or not a lawsuit is the best course of action.
Why You Need to Work with a Sexual Harassment Attorney
Sexual harassment can take place anywhere– at school, work, hospitals, bus stops, or even at home. There are levels of sexual harassment that a court will examine, and an expert attorney can help you determine. For instance:
- Does the harassment you want to report qualify as conduct that any sensible person would consider offensive?
- Is the conduct extreme or persistent?
- Is your workplace considered a hostile environment under sexual harassment law?
- Was the conduct genuinely unwanted?
If you have been a victim of sexual harassment, you may be reluctant to report the incident or file a lawsuit. You are not alone. Many people in similar situations fear being retaliated against, humiliated, or shunned because of their claims. Sexual harassment is never okay, but before you file a claim, you need to be aware of the obstacles you must navigate to prove your claim. You can protect yourself with the support of a sexual harassment lawyer.
Sexual Harassment In the Workplace
Sexual harassment can be prevalent in some work environments and subtle in others. There can be entire professional cultures in which sexual harassment is tolerated and never addressed. Workplace sexual harassment places victims in a tricky situation. Bringing allegations against superiors, coworkers, partners, customers, or clients can shake the foundation of a company and, some victims may worry, put their job in danger.
Worrying about the professional consequences that could stem from accusing somebody of sexual harassment is enough to immobilize individuals. Still, you are legally entitled to a workplace free of sexual harassment. Your sexual harassment attorney can advise and guide you in any of the following situations:
- the best moves to make, whether or not your company has a sexual harassment policy
- the first step to take– report it to your company, submit a complaint, contact authorities, or take legal action
- how to move forward when your employer dismisses or refutes the complaint
- what to do when your employer does not take your complaint seriously or insists the behavior does not constitute sexual harassment
- when the punishment for your harasser is insufficient and does not stop the harassment
- identifying whether offensive behavior is targeted sexual harassment or poor judgment on the part of the accused
- the differences between supervisor harassment and coworker harassment
- the action to take if you have been disciplined, demoted or fired because you reported sexual harassment
- figuring out whether you are protected under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act
It is smart for your sexual harassment lawyer to be there when you meet with your company regarding your complaint.
When You Are Ready to Hire a Sexual Harassment Attorney in Royal Oak
Sexual harassment is an emotional, mental, and sometimes physical crime. Victims of sexual harassment are all equal in their suffering, and the degree of sexual harassment that you have endured does not need to be “good enough” to be worthy of a case.
When you aren’t sure what to do first, where to turn, or when have more questions than you do answers regarding your sexual harassment complaint, talk to your Royal Oak sexual harassment lawyer. He or she will help you determine if what you experienced is considered sexual harassment under the law and what your next step should be.
If you think you have been a victim of sexual harassment in the workplace or in any kind of situation, reach out to Marko Law at (313) 777-7LAW to arrange your free consultation. We are on your side.
Contact Us Today to Get a Free Consultation
If you are ready to start your case or need more information about Sexual Harassment in Royal Oak, Michigan, contact Marko Law Firm today. Let us represent you as you seek justice and compensation for your pain and damages. Call (313) 777-7LAW today to get a free consultation or visit our website: MarkoLaw.com to get more information.