Has a Loved One Suffered a Wrongful Death in Royal Oak?
Some of the injuries claims our law firm handles involve a death caused by a negligent party. If an individual has passed away in an accident, the family of the deceased is probably entitled to compensation for their tragic loss. You will need the assistance of a knowledgeable Royal Oak wrongful death attorney. The lawyers at Marko Law defend accident and injury victims and their loved ones every day. They may be able to help you get compensation for your loss.
Wrongful death is where the negligence or carelessness of a person or company is responsible for a casualty. The law in Michigan understands that when one person’s actions cost another his life, the responsible person should be legally liable to pay damages to the victim’s family. This means that when a loved one is killed in an accident, the surviving family members may be entitled to bring a civil case against those responsible for the accident.
Common Types of Cases that Result In Wrongful Death
A few of the most common kinds of situations that lead to wrongful death are automobile accidents, slips and falls, workplace accidents, and medical malpractice.
When an Automobile Accident Causes Wrongful Death
Losing a loved one in an automobile accident is devastating. And it can be emotionally challenging to consider what you need to do next when you are so early in the grieving process. However, some individuals report that filing a claim helped to give them comfort because they had one less thing to worry about. A wrongful death claim means that something is being done to get justice for a deceased family member.
A car accident that leads to wrongful death can leave a family with major stress and anxiety concerning repaying medical costs, handling funeral expenses, and losing income from a primary provider. Marko Law can help to guarantee that you obtain the compensation that you deserve for medical costs, lost income, loss of consortium, and pain and suffering.
Wrongful death caused by an automobile accident can happen at the scene of the accident or later on when the victim succumbs to their injuries. Although fatal automobile accidents are often caused by drunk motorists, distracted drivers, and speeding, almost any kind of motor vehicle accident can lead to a deadly wreck. A few of the most common injuries from car accidents that later lead to wrongful death are traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, and internal injuries. If your loved one passes away from complications due to their injury, it still falls under the umbrella of wrongful death. As such, the at-fault party can still be sued for their negligence.
Wrongful Death Caused By Slip and Fall Accidents
Slip and fall accidents are seldom considered fatal kinds of accidents. However, this is just not accurate. Slips and falls can be fatal, especially if the head strikes the ground or another hard surface.
Slips and falls can occur practically anywhere. But some of the most common locations where slips and falls happen that qualify as wrongful deaths are grocery stores, commercial businesses, apartment complexes, parking lots, and workplaces. The way your wrongful death claim will be sought is different depending on where the accident occurred. For example, claims against large commercial companies differ in their parameters and insurance policies compared to slip and fall deaths that happen at a private residence.
Slips and falls can also be fatal when they occur to a senior citizen. A slip and fall can place major pressure on an older individual that they might never recover from. When you are in the later stages of life and all of a sudden you have to be bedridden for a long period of time, your chances of recovering completely are much slimmer. In fact, falls are the leading source of injury-related death for adults aged 65 and older. And this number seems to be increasing.
Workplace Wrongful Death
Workplace accidents that most commonly lead to fatalities consist of:
- Falls from heights
- Fire and explosions
- Malfunctions or flaws with equipment
- Vehicle accidents
- Exposure to harmful substances or environments
- Accidents caused by improper training
In these instances, determining if there is any third-party liability for negligence depends on how the accident occurred. If your loved one died as a result of the negligent conduct of an employee from a different company, that worker or that other company can be held responsible for damages. However, usually, if a death or injury occurs at the workplace or while the worker is “on the clock”, the case would fall under workers’ compensation.
Wrongful Death Due to Medical Malpractice
Wrongful death due to medical malpractice is among the trickier case types in personal injury law. Considering this, you need to make sure you have an experienced lawyer on your side when you’re dealing with medical malpractice of any kind.
Medical malpractice that can cause a wrongful death includes:
- Early discharge from a medical facility
- Wrong medication or dosage
- Surgical error
- Improper diagnosis or missed diagnosis
- Birth injury
If somebody you love died because of the negligence of a doctor, nurse, or healthcare center, get in touch with one of our medical malpractice attorneys at Marko Law as soon as possible so we can begin to investigate and build your case.
Compensation In a Wrongful Death Claim
Family members may be entitled to recoup various types of damages and losses from a wrongful death in Royal Oak, including:
- The pain, suffering, and grief of the surviving family members– There is not a harder time in life than when you lose somebody you love. The feelings and pain you might experience can be excruciating. We realize that no amount of money will make you feel whole again. However, the loved ones have a right to a financial recovery for the pain of experiencing this unfortunate experience.
- Funeral costs– Almost immediately after a tragic loss, family members have to incur a considerable cost for a funeral. Part of this law firm’s job will be to recover expenses because of the funeral.
- Medical bills and costs– In a lot of wrongful death cases, the medical costs before passing away can be very expensive. Commonly, billing may exceed several hundred thousand dollars. Our law firm will work to recuperate those expenses from the negligent party.
- Loss of consortium– You have a right to recover from the loss of no longer getting to spend and enjoy time with your family member.
- Loss of the future earnings of the deceased– Oftentimes the family member that dies was earning income. Family members were depending on that loved one to support the family. They have a right to recover that loss of future income. If needed, our law firm can hire an economist to establish what amount your family member would have earned during the rest of his or her life.
- Punitive damages– During a wrongful death claim, lawyers will determine whether it is appropriate to ask for leave of Court to file a punitive damages count in the claim. Punitive damages are intended to penalize the responsible party for intentional and/or outrageous conduct.
Free Wrongful Death Case Consultation
No amount of money can adequately compensate an accident victim’s family after a death due to negligence or recklessness. Nevertheless, these family members are entitled to financial relief that is available under local and state laws. After an accident, many families decide to speak with a wrongful death lawyer in Royal Oak to learn whether they have a case.
The type of accident can impact what means of recovery are available to a family and how soon those cases need to be pursued. For these reasons, it is a good idea to seek legal counsel immediately after a death.
If you think a negligent party may have caused a wrongful death of a family member in the Royal Oak area, Get in touch with us for a free wrongful death case consultation or call (313) 777-7LAW to talk with a wrongful death attorney in Royal Oak.
Contact Us Today to Get a Free Consultation
If you are ready to start your case or need more information about Wrongful Death in Royal Oak, Michigan, contact Marko Law Firm today. Let us represent you as you seek justice and compensation for your pain and damages. Call (313) 777-7LAW today to get a free consultation or visit our website: MarkoLaw.com to get more information.