Has a Loved One Suffered a Wrongful Death in Sterling Height?
Some of the injury claims our law firm takes on involve a death caused by a negligent party. If an individual has died in an accident, the family of the deceased is likely entitled to compensation for their terrible loss. You will need the help of a knowledgeable Sterling Height wrongful death lawyer. The attorneys at Marko Law defend accident and injury victims and their loved ones regularly. They may be able to help you get compensation for your loss.
Wrongful death is where the negligence or recklessness of an individual or company is responsible for a fatal accident. The law in Michigan recognizes that when someone’s actions cost another his life, the responsible individual should be legally liable to pay damages to the victim’s family members. This means that when a family member dies in an accident, the surviving family members may be entitled to bring a civil case against those responsible for the accident.
Common Types of Cases that Result In Wrongful Death
Some of the most common kinds of cases that result in a wrongful death are automobile accidents, slips and falls, workplace accidents, and medical malpractice.
When a Car Accident Causes Wrongful Death
Losing a loved one to an automobile accident is devastating. And it can be emotionally challenging to consider what you should do next when you are so early in the grieving process. However, some individuals report that filing a lawsuit helped to give them peace of mind since they had one less thing to worry about. A wrongful death claim means that something is being done to get justice for a deceased loved one.
A car accident that causes a wrongful death can leave a family with major stress about paying back medical bills, taking care of funeral expenses, and losing earnings from a primary provider. Marko Law can help to guarantee that you get the compensation that you deserve for medical expenses, lost earnings, loss of consortium, and pain and suffering.
Wrongful death because of a car accident can happen at the scene of the accident or later when the victim succumbs to their injuries. Although fatal motor vehicle accidents are commonly caused by drunk drivers, distracted drivers, and speeding, practically any kind of car accident can result in a deadly wreck. A few of the most common injuries from motor vehicle accidents that later lead to wrongful death are traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, and internal injuries. If your loved one dies from complications due to their injury, it still falls under the umbrella of wrongful death. As such, the at-fault party can still be sued for their negligence.
Wrongful Death Caused By Slip and Fall Accidents
Slip and fall accidents are rarely considered fatal type of accidents. However, this is just not accurate. Slips and falls can be deadly, particularly if the head strikes the ground or another hard surface.
Slips and falls can happen practically anywhere. However, some of the most common places where slips and falls happen that qualify as wrongful deaths are grocery stores, commercial businesses, apartment complexes, parking lots, and workplaces. The way your wrongful death case will be pursued is different depending on where the accident occurred. For example, claims against large commercial companies differ in their parameters and insurance policies compared to slip and fall deaths that take place at a private residence.
Slips and falls can also be fatal when they occur to an elderly person. A slip and fall can put serious pressure on an older person that they may never recuperate from. When you are in the later stages of life and all of a sudden you need to be bedridden for an extended period of time, your odds of recovering fully are much slimmer. As a matter of fact, falls are the leading cause of injury-related death for adults aged 65 and older. And this number appears to be increasing.
Workplace Wrongful Death
Workplace accidents that most commonly cause fatalities to consist of:
- Falls from heights
- Fire and explosions
- Malfunctions or errors with equipment
- Vehicle accidents
- Exposure to dangerous substances or environments
- Accidents caused by improper training
In these situations, determining if there is any third-party liability for negligence depends on how the accident occurred. If your loved one died because of the negligent conduct of a worker from a different company, that employee or that other company can be held responsible for damages. However, generally, if a death or injury happens at the workplace or while the worker is “on the clock”, the case would fall under workers’ compensation.
Wrongful Death Because of Medical Malpractice
Wrongful death because of medical malpractice is one of the trickier case types in personal injury law. Considering this, you need to be sure you have an experienced lawyer on your side when you’re dealing with medical malpractice of any type.
Medical malpractice that can cause a wrongful death includes:
- Early discharge from a medical facility
- Wrong medication or dose
- Surgical mistake
- Improper diagnosis or missed diagnosis
- Birth injury
If a person you love passed away because of the negligence of a doctor, nurse, or healthcare facility, call one of our medical malpractice lawyers at Marko Law as soon as possible so we can begin to investigate and develop your case.
Compensation in a Wrongful Death Case
Family members might be qualified to recoup for various types of damages and losses from a wrongful death in Sterling Height, including:
- The pain, suffering and grief of the surviving family members– There is not a harder time in life than when you lose somebody you love. The feelings and pain you may experience can be excruciating. We understand that no amount of money will make you feel whole again. Nevertheless, the family members have a right to a financial recovery for the pain of experiencing this unfortunate experience.
- Funeral expenses– Almost immediately after a tragic loss, family members have to incur a significant expenses for a funeral. Part of this law firm’s role will be to recover expenses because of the funeral.
- Medical bills and costs– In a lot of wrongful death cases, the medical expenses before passing away can be incredibly expensive. Often, billing might exceed several hundred thousand dollars. Our law firm will work to recuperate those expenses from the negligent party.
- Loss of consortium– You have a right to recover from the loss of no longer being able to spend and enjoy time with your family member.
- Loss of the future earnings of the deceased– Commonly the family member that passed away was earning income. Family members were depending on that loved one to support the family. They have a right to recover that loss of future income. If needed, our law firm could employ an economist to identify what amount your loved one would have earned throughout the remainder of his or her life.
- Punitive damages– During a wrongful death case, lawyers will decide whether it is appropriate to request leave of Court to file a punitive damages count in the case. Punitive damages are intended to penalize the responsible party for deliberate and/or outrageous conduct.
Free Wrongful Death Claim Consultation
No amount of money can adequately compensate an accident victim’s loved ones after a fatality caused by negligence or recklessness. However, these family members deserve financial relief that is offered under local and state laws. After an accident, many families choose to consult with a wrongful death lawyer in Sterling Height to figure out whether they have a case.
The type of accident can affect what options of recovery are provided to a family and how soon those claims must be sought. For these reasons, it is a good idea to seek legal counsel immediately after a fatality.
If you believe a negligent party may have caused a wrongful death of a family member in the Sterling Height area, Reach out to us for a free wrongful death claim consultation or call (313) 777-7LAW to speak with a wrongful death attorney in Sterling Height.
Contact Us Today to Get a Free Consultation
If you are ready to start your case or need more information about Wrongful Death in Sterling Height, Michigan, contact Marko Law Firm today. Let us represent you as you seek justice and compensation for your pain and damages. Call (313) 777-7LAW today to get a free consultation or visit our website: MarkoLaw.com to get more information.