Marko Law Firm – Wrongful Death Attorney in Troy, Michigan
Has a Loved One Suffered a Wrongful Death in Troy?
Some of the injury cases our law firm handles involve a death caused by a negligent party. If an individual has died in an accident, the family of the deceased is probably entitled to compensation for their terrible loss. You will need the assistance of a qualified Troy wrongful death lawyer. The lawyers at Marko Law fight for accident and injury victims and their families every day. They might be able to help you receive compensation for your loss.
Wrongful death is where the negligence or carelessness of a person or company is responsible for a casualty. The law in California understands that when someone’s actions cost another his or her life, the responsible individual must be legally liable to pay damages to the victim’s family. This means that when a loved one is killed in an accident, the surviving family members may be entitled to bring a civil claim against those responsible for the accident.
Common Kinds of Cases That Result in Wrongful Death
Some of the most common kinds of cases that lead to wrongful death are motor vehicle accidents, slips and falls, workplace accidents, and medical malpractice.
When an Automobile Accident Causes Wrongful Death
Losing a family member to a motor vehicle accident is devastating. And it can be emotionally challenging to consider what you should do next when you are so early in the grieving process. However, some individuals report that filing a claim helped to provide comfort since they had one less thing to worry about. A wrongful death claim means that something is being done to get justice for a deceased loved one.
A motor vehicle accident that results in wrongful death can leave a family with major stress about paying back medical expenses, taking care of funeral costs, and losing income from a primary provider. Marko Law can help to ensure that you obtain the compensation that you are entitled to for medical costs, lost income, loss of consortium, as well as pain and suffering.
Wrongful death due to an automobile accident can happen at the scene of the accident or later when the victim succumbs to their injuries. Although fatal car accidents are oftentimes caused by intoxicated motorists, distracted motorists, and speeding, virtually any kind of car accident can cause a fatal wreck. A few of the most common injuries from automobile accidents that later lead to wrongful death are traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, and internal injuries. If your loved one dies from complications due to their injury, it still falls under the umbrella of wrongful death. Therefore, the at-fault party can still be sued for their negligence.
Wrongful Death Due to Slip and Fall Accidents
Slip and fall accidents are rarely considered a deadly kind of accident. However, this is simply not true. Slips and falls can be deadly, particularly if the head strikes the ground or another hard surface.
Slips and falls can happen practically anywhere. However, some of the most prevalent locations where slips and falls occur that qualify as wrongful deaths are grocery stores, commercial businesses, apartment complexes, parking lots, and workplaces. The way your wrongful death claim will be sought is different depending on where the accident took place. For instance, claims against big commercial businesses differ in their parameters and insurance policies compared to slip and fall deaths that take place at a private residence.
Slips and falls can also be fatal when they occur to an elderly person. A slip and fall can put a major strain on an older individual that they may never recuperate from. When you are in the later stages of life and all of a sudden you have to be bedridden for an extended period of time, your chances of recovering completely are much slimmer. In fact, falls are the leading source of injury-related death for adults aged 65 and older. And this number seems to be increasing.
Workplace Wrongful Death
Workplace accidents that most frequently lead to fatalities include:
- Falls from heights
- Fire and explosions
- Malfunctions or errors with equipment
- Vehicle accidents
- Exposure to harmful substances or environments
- Accidents caused by improper training
In these cases, identifying if there is any third-party liability for negligence depends on how the accident occurred. If your loved one passed away due to negligent conduct of a worker from a different company, that worker or that other company can be held liable for damages. But, usually, if a death or injury happens at the workplace or while the employee is “on the clock”, the case would fall under workers’ compensation.
Wrongful Death Because of Medical Malpractice
Wrongful death due to medical malpractice is one of the trickier case types in personal injury law. Considering this, you want to be sure you have a qualified attorney on your side when you’re dealing with medical malpractice of any type.
Medical malpractice that can cause a wrongful death includes:
- Early discharge from a medical facility
- Incorrect medication or dose
- Surgical error
- Incorrect diagnosis or missed diagnosis
- Birth injury
If somebody you love died because of the negligence of a physician, nurse, or healthcare facility, get in touch with one of our medical malpractice attorneys at Marko Law right away so we can start to investigate and build your case.
Compensation in a Wrongful Death Claim
Family members might be entitled to recoup for several kinds of damages and losses from a wrongful death in Troy, including:
- The pain, suffering, and grief of the surviving family members– There is not a harder time in life than when you lose somebody you love. The feelings and pain you might experience can be excruciating. We know that no amount of money will make you feel whole again. Nevertheless, the loved ones have a right to a monetary recovery for the pain of experiencing this unfortunate experience.
- Funeral expenses– Almost immediately after a tragic loss, family members have to incur substantial expenses for a funeral. Part of this law firm’s role will be to recover expenses because of the funeral.
- Medical bills and costs– In many wrongful death cases, the medical expenses prior to passing away can be extremely expensive. Commonly, billing may exceed several hundred thousand dollars. Our law firm will strive to recover those costs from the negligent party.
- Loss of consortium– You have a right to recuperate for the loss of no longer being able to spend and enjoy time with your family member.
- Loss of the future earnings of the deceased– Commonly the family member that passed away was earning income. Family members were depending on that loved one to support the household. They have a right to recuperate that loss of future earnings. If needed, our law firm can retain an economist to determine what amount your loved one would have made throughout the rest of their life.
- Punitive damages– During a wrongful death case, attorneys will determine whether it is appropriate to request leave of Court to file a punitive damages count in the lawsuit. Punitive damages are meant to penalize the at-fault party for intentional and/or outrageous conduct.
Free Wrongful Death Case Consultation
No amount of money can properly compensate an accident victim’s family after a fatality due to negligence or recklessness. Nevertheless, these family members are entitled to financial relief that is provided under local and state laws. After an accident, many families decide to speak with a wrongful death attorney in Troy to learn whether they have a case.
The type of accident can impact what options of recovery are provided to a family and how soon those cases need to be sought. For these reasons, it is a good idea to pursue legal counsel immediately after death.
If you think a negligent party may have caused a wrongful death of a family member in the Troy area, Contact us for a free wrongful death claim consultation or call (313)-777 -7LAW to talk with a wrongful death attorney in Troy.