Troy Wrongful Death Lawyer
Has a Loved One Suffered a Wrongful Death in Troy?
Some of the injury claims our law firm takes on involve a death caused by a negligent party. If an individual has passed away in an accident, the family of the deceased is likely entitled to compensation for their terrible loss. You will need the assistance of a qualified Troy wrongful death attorney. The lawyers at Marko Law fight for accident and injury victims and their families everyday. They may be able to help you obtain compensation for your loss.
A wrongful death is where the negligence or recklessness of a person or company are responsible for a fatal accident. The law in Michigan understands that when one person’s actions cost another his life, the responsible person must be legally liable to pay damages to the victim’s family. This means that when a family member dies in an accident, the surviving family members may be entitled to bring a civil case against those responsible for the accident.
Common Types of Cases that Result In Wrongful Death
Some of the most common types of cases that lead to wrongful death are motor vehicle accidents, slips and falls, workplace accidents, and medical malpractice.
When a Motor Vehicle Accident Causes Wrongful Death
Losing a loved one to a car accident is devastating. And it can be emotionally challenging to consider what you should do next when you are so early in the mourning process. However, some people report that filing a claim helped to give them comfort since they had one less thing to worry about. A wrongful death claim means that something is being done to get justice for a deceased relative.
An automobile accident that causes a wrongful death can leave a family with major stress concerning paying back medical costs, managing funeral costs, and losing income from a primary provider. Marko Law can help to ensure that you obtain the compensation that you deserve for medical expenses, lost earnings, loss of consortium, and pain and suffering.
Wrongful death caused by an automobile accident can happen at the scene of the accident or later when the victim succumbs to their injuries. Although deadly motor vehicle accidents are commonly caused by intoxicated motorists, distracted motorists, and speeding, almost any type of motor vehicle accident can result in a fatal crash. Some of the most common injuries from motor vehicle accidents that later result in wrongful death are traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, and internal injuries. If your loved one passes away from complications due to their injury, it still falls under the umbrella of wrongful death. Therefore, the at-fault party can still be sued for their negligence.
Wrongful Death Caused By Slip and Fall Accidents
Slip and fall accidents are seldom considered a fatal type of accident. However, this is simply not accurate. Slips and falls can be deadly, especially if the head strikes the ground or another hard surface.
Slips and falls can occur almost anywhere. However, some of the most common places that slip and falls happen that qualify as wrongful deaths are grocery stores, commercial businesses, apartment complexes, parking lots, and places of work. The way your wrongful death claim will be pursued is different depending on where the accident occurred. For instance, claims against large commercial businesses differ in their parameters and insurance policies compared to slip and fall deaths that occur at a private residence.
Slips and falls can also be fatal when they occur to an elderly person. A slip and fall can place significant strain on an older person that they might never recuperate from. When you are in the later stages of life and all of a sudden you need to be bedridden for a long period of time, your odds of recovering fully are much slimmer. In fact, falls are the leading cause of injury-related death for adults aged 65 and older. And this number appears to be increasing.
Workplace Wrongful Death
Workplace accidents that most frequently cause fatalities include:
- Falls from heights
- Fire and explosions
- Malfunctions or errors with equipment
- Vehicle accidents
- Exposure to harmful substances or environments
- Accidents caused by improper training
In these instances, determining if there is any third-party liability for negligence depends on how the accident occurred. If your loved one died because of negligent conduct of a worker from a different company, that worker or that other company can be held responsible for damages. However, typically if a death or injury occurs at the workplace or while the employee is “on the clock”, the case would fall under workers’ compensation.
Wrongful Death Due to Medical Malpractice
Wrongful death because of medical malpractice is one of the more difficult case types in personal injury law. Because of this, you need to be sure you have a competent lawyer on your side when you’re dealing with medical malpractice of any type.
Medical malpractice that can cause a wrongful death includes:
- Early discharge from hospital
- Incorrect medication or dosage
- Surgical mistake
- Improper diagnosis or missed diagnosis
- Birth injury
If somebody you love died because of the negligence of a physician, nurse, or healthcare center, contact one of our medical malpractice attorneys at Marko Law as soon as possible so we can begin to investigate and build your case.
Compensation in a Wrongful Death Case
Family members may be qualified to recover for various types of damages and losses from a wrongful death in Troy, including:
- The pain, suffering and grief of the surviving family members. There is not a harder time in life than when you lose somebody you love. The feelings and pain you may experience can be excruciating. We realize that no amount of money will make you feel whole again. However, the family members have a right to a financial recovery for the pain of going through this unfortunate experience.
- Funeral costs. Almost immediately after a tragic loss, family members have to incur significant cost for a funeral. Part of this law firm’s job will be to recover expenses due to the funeral.
- Medical bills and costs. In a lot of wrongful death cases, the medical bills before passing away can be very expensive. Commonly, billing might exceed several hundred thousand dollars. Our law firm will work to recuperate those expenses from the negligent party.
- Loss of consortium. You have a right to recuperate for the loss of no longer being able to spend and enjoy time with your family member.
- Loss of the future income of the deceased. Oftentimes the family member that passes away was earning income. Family members were depending on that loved one to support the family. They have a right to recuperate that loss of future wages. If necessary, our law firm could hire an economist to establish what amount your family member would have made during the rest of his or her life.
- Punitive damages. During a wrongful death case, lawyers will determine whether it is appropriate to request leave of Court to file a punitive damages count in the claim. Punitive damages are meant to punish the responsible party for deliberate and/or outrageous conduct.
Free Wrongful Death Claim Consultation
No amount of money can appropriately compensate an accident victim’s loved ones after a fatality due to negligence or recklessness. Nevertheless, these family members deserve financial relief that is provided under local and state laws. After an accident, lots of families choose to consult with a wrongful death lawyer in Troy to find out whether they have a case.
The kind of accident can impact what means of recovery are available to a family and how soon those cases have to be pursued. For these reasons, it is a good idea to pursue legal counsel immediately after a fatality.
If you think a negligent party may have caused a wrongful death of a family member in the Troy area, Contact us for a free wrongful death claim consultation or call (313) 777-7LAW to speak with a wrongful death lawyer in Troy.
Contact Us Today to Get a Free Consultation
If you are ready to start your case or need more information about a Wrongful Death Lawyer in Troy, Michigan, contact Marko Law Firm today. Let us represent you as you seek justice and compensation for your pain and damages. Call (313) 777-7LAW today to get a free consultation or visit our website: MarkoLaw.com to get more information.