Has a Family Member Suffered a Wrongful Death in Warren?
Some of the injury cases our law firm handles involve a death caused by a negligent party. If a person has passed away in an accident, the family members of the deceased are probably entitled to compensation for their tragic loss. You will need the assistance of a knowledgeable Warren wrongful death lawyer. The attorneys at Marko Law defend accident and injury victims and their loved ones regularly. They may be able to help you obtain compensation for your loss.
Wrongful death is where the negligence or carelessness of an individual or company is responsible for a fatal accident. The law in Michigan recognizes that when someone’s actions cost another his or her life, the responsible person should be legally liable to pay damages to the victim’s loved ones. This means that when a loved one dies in an accident, the surviving family members might be entitled to bring a civil claim against those responsible for the accident.
Common Kinds of Cases that Lead to Wrongful Death
Some of the most common kinds of cases that lead to wrongful death are motor vehicle accidents, slips and falls, workplace accidents, and medical malpractice.
When a Motor Vehicle Accident Causes Wrongful Death
Losing a family member to a car accident is devastating. And it can be emotionally challenging to consider what you need to do next when you are so early in the grieving process. However, some people report that filing a claim helped to give them peace of mind since they had one less thing to worry about. A wrongful death case means that something is being done to get justice for a deceased family member.
A car accident that causes a wrongful death can leave a family with significant stress and anxiety concerning repaying medical expenses, handling funeral expenses, and losing earnings from a primary provider. Marko Law can help to make sure that you get the compensation that you are entitled to for medical bills, lost income, loss of consortium, and pain and suffering.
Wrongful death because of a motor vehicle accident can happen at the scene of the accident or later on when the victim succumbs to their injuries. Although fatal car accidents are commonly caused by drunk motorists, distracted drivers, and speeding, practically any kind of car accident can lead to a deadly collision. Some of the most common injuries from automobile accidents that later result in a wrongful death are traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, and internal injuries. If your loved one passes away from complications due to their injury, it still falls under the umbrella of wrongful death. As such, the at-fault party can still be sued for their negligence.
Wrongful Death Caused by Slip and Fall Accidents
Slip and fall accidents are seldom considered deadly type of accidents. However, this is just not true. Slips and falls can be deadly, particularly if the head strikes the ground or another hard surface.
Slips and falls can happen practically anywhere. But some of the most prevalent places where slips and falls occur that qualify as wrongful deaths are grocery stores, commercial businesses, apartment complexes, parking lots, and workplaces. The way your wrongful death claim will be pursued is different depending on where the accident happened. For instance, claims against big commercial companies differ in their parameters and insurance policies compared to slip and fall deaths that take place at a private residence.
Slips and falls can also be deadly when they occur to a senior citizen. A slip and fall can place serious pressure on an older individual that they might never recuperate from. When you are in the later stages of life and all of a sudden you have to be bedridden for an extended period of time, your chances of recovering completely are much slimmer. In fact, falls are the leading source of injury-related death for adults aged 65 and older. And this number appears to be rising.
Workplace Wrongful Death
Workplace accidents that most frequently cause fatalities to consist of:
- Falls from heights
- Fire and explosions
- Malfunctions or flaws with equipment
- Vehicle accidents
- Exposure to hazardous substances or environments
- Accidents caused by improper training
In these situations, identifying if there is any third-party liability for negligence depends on how the accident happened. If your loved one died as a result of the negligent conduct of a worker from a different company, that employee or that other company can be held responsible for damages. However, generally, if a death or injury occurs at the workplace or while the worker is “on the clock”, the case would fall under workers’ compensation.
Wrongful Death Because of Medical Malpractice
Wrongful death due to medical malpractice is one of the more difficult case types in personal injury law. Considering this, you want to make sure you have a competent lawyer on your side when you’re handling medical malpractice of any kind.
Medical malpractice that can cause a wrongful death includes:
- Early discharge from hospital
- Incorrect medication or dose
- Surgical mistake
- Incorrect diagnosis or missed diagnosis
- Birth injury
If someone you love passed away due to the negligence of a doctor, nurse, or healthcare center, call one of our medical malpractice lawyers at Marko Law as soon as possible so we can begin to investigate and develop your case.
Compensation in a Wrongful Death Claim
Family members might be qualified to recover many types of damages and losses from a wrongful death in Warren, including:
- The pain, suffering, and grief of the surviving family members– There is not a more difficult time in life than when you lose someone you love. The feelings and pain you might experience can be excruciating. We understand that no amount of money will make you feel whole again. Nevertheless, the family members have a right to financial recovery from the pain of experiencing this tragic experience.
- Funeral costs– Almost immediately after a tragic loss, family members have to incur considerable expenses for a funeral. Part of this law firm’s role will be to recover expenses due to the funeral.
- Medical bills and costs– In a lot of wrongful death cases, the medical costs before passing away can be extremely expensive. Often, billing may exceed several hundred thousand dollars. Our law firm will strive to recuperate those expenses from the negligent party.
- Loss of consortium– You have a right to recover for the loss of no longer getting to spend and enjoy time with your family member.
- Loss of the future wages of the deceased– Often the family member that passed away was earning income. Family members were depending on that loved one to support the family. They have a right to recover that loss of future wages. If needed, our law firm can employ an economist to determine what amount your loved one would have made throughout the remainder of his or her life.
- Punitive damages– During a wrongful death case, lawyers will decide whether it is appropriate to request leave of Court to file a punitive damages count in the claim. Punitive damages are meant to penalize the at fault party for intentional and/or outrageous conduct.
Free Wrongful Death Case Consultation
No amount of money can appropriately compensate an accident victim’s family after a death caused by negligence or recklessness. Nevertheless, these family members deserve financial relief that is available under local and state laws. After an accident, several families choose to speak with a wrongful death lawyer in Warren to learn whether they have a case.
The kind of accident can impact what means of recovery are available to a family and how soon those claims have to be sought. For these reasons, it is a good idea to pursue legal counsel as soon as possible after a fatality.
If you think a negligent party might have caused a wrongful death of a family member in the Warren area, Get in touch with us for a free wrongful death case consultation or call (313) 777-7LAW to speak with a wrongful death lawyer in Warren.
Contact Us Today to Get a Free Consultation
If you are ready to start your case or need more information about Wrongful Death in Warren, Michigan, contact Marko Law Firm today. Let us represent you as you seek justice and compensation for your pain and damages. Call (313) 777-7LAW today to get a free consultation or visit our website: MarkoLaw.com to get more information.