Has a Loved One Suffered a Wrongful Death in Westland, Michigan?
Some of the injuries claims our law firm handles involve a death caused by a negligent party. If an individual has died in an accident, the family members of the deceased are probably entitled to compensation for their terrible loss. You will need the help of an experienced Westland wrongful death lawyer. The lawyers at Marko Law defend accident and injury victims and their loved ones every day. They may be able to help you receive compensation for your loss.
Wrongful death is where the negligence or carelessness of an individual or company is responsible for a casualty. The law in Michigan recognizes that when one person’s actions cost another his or her life, the responsible person needs to be legally liable to pay damages to the victim’s family members. This means that when a loved one is killed in an accident, the surviving family members may be entitled to bring a civil case against those responsible for the accident.
Common Types of Cases that Result In Wrongful Death
A few of the most common types of situations that lead to wrongful death are automobile accidents, slips and falls, workplace accidents, and medical malpractice.
When an Automobile Accident Causes Wrongful Death
Losing a family member to a car accident is devastating. And it can be emotionally challenging to consider what you should do next when you are so early in the grieving process. However, some people report that filing a lawsuit helped to give them peace of mind since they had one less thing to worry about. A wrongful death case means that something is being done to get justice for a deceased loved one.
A car accident that results in wrongful death can leave a family with major stress and anxiety concerning repaying medical bills, handling funeral expenses, and losing income from a primary provider. Marko Law can help to guarantee that you get the compensation that you are entitled to for medical bills, lost income, loss of consortium, as well as pain and suffering.
Wrongful death because of an automobile accident can happen at the scene of the accident or later when the victim succumbs to their injuries. Although fatal car accidents are often caused by intoxicated drivers, distracted drivers, and speeding, almost any type of motor vehicle accident can lead to a fatal wreck. Some of the most common injuries from motor vehicle accidents that later lead to wrongful death are traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, and internal injuries. If your loved one passes away from complications because of their injury, it still falls under the umbrella of wrongful death. As such, the at-fault party can still be sued for their negligence.
Wrongful Death Caused by Slip and Fall Accidents
Slip and fall accidents are rarely considered deadly type of accident. However, this is simply not accurate. Slips and falls can be deadly, especially if the head strikes the ground or another hard surface.
Slips and falls can occur almost anywhere. However, some of the most prevalent locations where slip and falls occur that qualify as wrongful deaths are grocery stores, commercial businesses, apartment complexes, parking lots, and places of work. The way your wrongful death case will be pursued is different depending on where the accident happened. For instance, claims against large commercial companies differ in their parameters and insurance policies compared to slip and fall deaths that take place at a private residence.
Slips and falls can also be fatal when they occur to an elderly person. A slip and fall can put serious pressure on an older person that they may never recuperate from. When you are in the later stages of life and all of a sudden you have to be bedridden for a long period of time, your chances of recovering completely are much slimmer. In fact, falls are the leading cause of injury-related death for adults aged 65 and older. And this number seems to be increasing.
Workplace Wrongful Death
Workplace accidents that most frequently lead to deaths consist of:
- Falls from heights
- Fire and explosions
- Malfunctions or errors with equipment
- Vehicle accidents
- Exposure to harmful substances or environments
- Accidents caused by poor training
In these situations, identifying if there is any third-party liability for negligence depends on how the accident occurred. If your loved one passed away because of the negligent conduct of an employee from a different company, that employee or that other company can be held responsible for damages. But, generally, if a death or injury happens at the workplace or while the worker is “on the clock”, the case would fall under workers’ compensation.
Wrongful Death Because of Medical Malpractice
Wrongful death because of medical malpractice is among the more difficult case types in personal injury law. Considering this, you need to be sure you have a competent attorney on your side when you’re dealing with medical malpractice of any kind.
Medical malpractice that can lead to a wrongful death includes:
- Early discharge from medical facility
- Incorrect medication or dose
- Surgical mistake
- Incorrect diagnosis or overlooked diagnosis
- Birth injury
If someone you love died due to the negligence of a doctor, nurse, or healthcare facility, get in touch with one of our medical malpractice attorneys at Marko Law as soon as possible so we can begin to investigate and build your case.
Compensation In a Wrongful Death Claim
Family members may be qualified to recover for many kinds of damages and losses from a wrongful death in Westland, including:
- The pain, suffering and grief of the surviving family members– There is not a more difficult time in life than when you lose somebody you love. The feelings and pain you might experience can be unbearable. We realize that no amount of money will make you feel whole again. Nevertheless, the family members have a right to a financial recovery for the pain of going through this tragic experience.
- Funeral expenses– Almost immediately after a tragic loss, family members have to incur a significant expense for a funeral. Part of this law firm’s job will be to recover expenses because of the funeral.
- Medical bills and costs– In a lot of wrongful death cases, the medical expenses before passing away can be extremely expensive. Often, billing might exceed several hundred thousand dollars. Our law firm will strive to recuperate those costs from the negligent party.
- Loss of consortium– You have a right to recuperate for the loss of no longer getting to spend and enjoy time with your family member.
- Loss of the future income of the deceased– Oftentimes the family member that dies was earning income. Family members were depending on that loved one to support the household. They have a right to recover that loss of future earnings. If needed, our law firm could retain an economist to identify what amount your family member would have made during the remainder of his or her life.
- Punitive damages– During a wrongful death case, attorneys will decide whether it is appropriate to ask for leave of Court to file a punitive damages count in the case. Punitive damages are meant to punish the at-fault party for deliberate and/or outrageous conduct.
Free Wrongful Death Claim Consultation
No amount of money can adequately compensate an accident victim’s loved ones after a fatality because of negligence or recklessness. Nevertheless, these family members are entitled to financial relief that is offered under local and state laws. After an accident, several families decided to speak with a wrongful death lawyer in Westland to find out whether they have a case.
The kind of accident can affect what options of recovery are offered to a family and how soon those claims must be pursued. For these reasons, it is a good idea to seek legal counsel as soon as possible after a death.
If you think a negligent party might have caused a wrongful death of a family member in the Westland area, Reach out to us for a free wrongful death claim consultation or call (313) 777-7LAW to talk with a wrongful death lawyer in Westland, Michigan.